- 32.1 IP/26 H/12 R/17 BB/32 SO/3 HR
- BAA .211/ERA 3.34/WHIP 1.33
- GRADE: 74.05% (C)
- RATES: 19.12% H/8.82% R/12.50% BB/23.53% SO/2.21% HR
- PER 9: 7.24 H/3.34 R/4.73 BB/8.91 SO/0.84 HR
Cingrani”s goal for the month of May.
- Pitch well in the month of May and you might stay in the bullpen. Cingrani is on thin ice right now with Alfredo Simon surging in the starting role with Mat Latos out. Most are going with Simon heading back to the bullpen, but Bryan Price has no indication of who goes back. Price should focus on amount of innings each starter gets and how many runs allowed. Starting pitching is getting the money’s worth versus bullpen, Simon is an Arbitration player versus Cingrani, who is still in Pre-Arbitration. Overall, got to get more innings out of Cingrani to stay in rotation.
- Cingrani’s Quartile range is 4.25-6.25 IP, Cingrani has had two starts in that range. Cingrani has been less than 4.25 in 2 starts and higher than 6.25 in 2 starts. Got to get at least 6.1 IP/start.
- Cingrani has done a very good job of allowing no hits, did allow no more than 5 in his first 4 starts. Cingrani has allowed 6 in the last two starts. If Cingrani keeps up with that and manages to hold runners from scoring, then he’ll likely stay on the rotation. 3-6 is the goal per start.
- Cingrani has been known to hold those runners on base and has allowed no more than 3 in the 2014 season. A reasonable goal for Cingrani is to allow no more than 1-3 per start.
- Another thing that Cingrani can do is not allow a lot are walks, typically walk 2 to 4 batters per start. Cingrani has not been lower than 2 or or higher than 4 in April.
- One thing that was really missed in 2 of his last 3 starts were strikeouts.
- KEEP IT UP: No Home run balls, he has allowed 1 home run in 3 of his last 4 starts, but that can change quickly and not allow a home run ball. He did not allow a home run against the St. Louis Cardinals and Pittsburgh Pirates in the month of April, but allowed 2 home runs to the Chicago Cubs.
- 33.2 IP/22 H/7 R/6 ER/11 BB/22 SO/2 HR
- BAA .179/ERA 1.60/WHIP 0.98
- GRADE: 85.64% (B)
- RATES: 16.42% H/5.22% R/8.21% BB/16.42% SO/1.49% HR
- PER 9: 5.88 H/1.87 R/2.94 BB/5.88 SO/0.53 HR
Simon’s goal for the month of May.
- Keep pitching like this and the bullpen won’t be calling for you. Simon and Cingrani are competing for the 5th spot in the rotation with the return of Mat Latos sometime in the month of May. Simon has two factors into play, he eats a lot of innings up and doesn’t allow a lot of runs in his start, only 7 runs in 5 starts
- Keep pitching up to 6 innings, can pitch up to 8 innings. Simon has pitched more than 6 innings in each start.
- Allowing 4-5 hits is reasonable for a starter, keep it up. Simon has allowed 4 hits in 3 of 5 starts.
- Allowing runs is something a pitcher does not want to do, but 1-2 should be it. Simon has allowed no more than 2 runs in all of his starts in 2014.
- Simon in one game allowed 5 walks, which is an outlier to his season. Simon will typically was 1-2 batters in a game and if that pace keeps going
- One thing hasn’t really done is striking batters out. The goal for Simon is to strikeouts 4-5 batters, but he has hit that mark of 4 or more batters 4 out of 5 times so far this season.
- One thing I do like about Alfredo Simon this season is keeping the ball in the park. Simon has given the long ball shot twice, but only allows it once. Simon doing an excellent job on that.
- 20.1 IP/30 H/13 R/8 SO/25 SO/6 HR
- BAA .330/ERA 5.75/WHIP 1.87
- GRADE: 71.77% (C)
- RATES: 30.93% H/13.40% R/8.25% BB/25.77% SO/6.19% HR
- PER 9: 13.28 H/5.75 R/3.54 BB/11.07 SO/2.66 HR
Bailey’s goal for the month of May.
- Leave April in the past and move on to the next opponents. Bailey faced 3 of the 5 postseason teams from last year, unfortunate spots, but has to let it go. Next three starts to start the month of May are the Milwaukee Brewers, Boston Red Sox and the San Diego Padres.
- Need more innings from Bailey, 6 or more is good. Bailey has hit that in the last two starts of April, so that can be goods news…for now.
- Bailey gets hit off of a lot, in a baseball way. Bailey allows 7-8 hits per game, got to cut down on that factor. He has allowed 7 or more hits in each start to start the season.
- Bailey typically allows 3-4 runs per start. Bailey has allowed 4 or less runs in 3 of 5 starts. If Bailey allows less than 4 per start, he will gain his confidence once again.
- One thing that Bailey has done and it is good is not allowing walks, he has allowed no walks in 2 of 5 starts.
- Strikeouts, 8 per start is a goal, but 4-8 is good enough in a start. Bailey has struck out more than 4 batters in 4 starts.
- Home runs, that April 14th game was an OUTLIER. That game is not typical of Homer Bailey, but he usually allows 1 home run. Obvious to go 0 home runs per start and has done it once. Bailey has given up a home run in 3 of 5 starts.
- 47 IP/22 H/6 R/14 BB/50 SO/4 HR
- BAA .135/ERA 1.15/WHIP 0.77
- GRADE: 89.36% (B)
- RATES: 12.43% H/3.39% R/7.91% BB/28.25% SO/2.26% HR
- PER 9: 4.21 H/1.15 R/2.668 BB/9.57 SO/0.77 HR
Cueto’s goal for the month of May.
- Keep doing ace things. Cueto has to throw at least 7 or more innings in every start in May, every single start he has had in the month of April all had 7 or more innings.
- Allowing less than 3 hits per start. Cueto did that 4 times in the month of April.
- Cueto allowing little to no runs in a start. He has allowed 1 run in 2 starts and 2 runs in 2 starts.
- Allow no more than 1 walk per start. He has allowed no more than 1
- Keep on striking out batters at high rates. Goal is 4 or more and has done it in all 6 starts in 2014.
- Make the long ball hard to hit. Cueto doesn’t need to allow a home run and he’s done it 4 times in 6 starts.
- 35.1 IP/30 H/15 R/6 BB/20 SO/6 HR
- BAA .221/ERA 3.82/WHIP 1.02
- GRADE: 73.11% (C)
- RATES: 21.58% H/10.79% R/4.32% BB/14.39% SO/4.32% HR
- PER 9: 7.64 H/3.82 R/1.53 BB/5.09 SO/1.53 HR
Leake’s goals for the month of May:
- Pitch 6 to 7 innings per start. Leake pitched a high of 8 innings on April 9th at St. Louis
- Try to allow no more than 5 hits per start. Leake did allow less than 5 times 3 times in the month of April
- Allowing runs is a normal thing to do as a pitcher, but 3 or less is good for Leake. Leake allowed 3 or less in back to back starts against St. Louis and Pittsburgh on April 9th and 15th.
- Leake has been very good at allowing no walks. The goal is to allow no more than 1 walk per game, he has done it twice in back to back starts against St. Louis and Pittsburgh on April 9th and 15th.
- One thing Leake has to work on is getting strikeouts. The goal is 4 per start. He has thrown more than 4 strikeouts in a start, which was on April 15th against the Pirates.
Make it rain, make it rain. The Rain was coming down on Tuesday night, but that did not quiet the bats for the Reds. Reds managed to score 3 runs off Jeff Samardzija to put him down to 0-3 in the season. Monday’s game was postponed due to rain.
- BRANDON PHILLIPS HIT SACRIFICE FLY TO RIGHT, BRANDON PHILLIPS SCORED; REDS 1-0
- STARLIN CASTRO SINGLED TO CENTER, EMILIO BONIFACIO AND RYAN KALISH SCORED; CUBS 2-1
- BILLY HAMILTON HOMERED TO RIGHT; TIED 2-2
- CHRIS HEISEY SINGLED TO LEFT, ZACK COZART SCORED; REDS 3-2
SCORING COMPOSITE: CINCINNATI REDS 3, CHICAGO CUBS 2
JACKSON’S LAST 7
- 37.1 IP/48 H/26 R/25 ER/18 BB/30 SO/3 HR
- BAA .300/ERA 6.03/WHIP 1.77
- GRADE: 71.13% (C)
- RATES: 27.75% H/15.03% R/10.40% BB/17.35% SO/1.73% HR
- FIRST 27 RATE: 7 H/4 R/3 BB/5 SO
- PER 9: 11.57 H/4.88 R/4.34 BB/7.23 SO/0.72 HR
JACKSON VS. CINCINNATI
- 38.2 IP/40 H/13 R/6 BB/35 SO/3 HR
- BAA .256/ERA 3.03/WHIP 1.19
- GRADE: 84.39% (B)
- RATES: 25.48% H/8.28% R/3.82% BB/22.29% SO/1.91% HR
- FIRST 27 RATE: 7 H/2 R/BB/6 SO/HR
- PER 9: 9.31 H/2.93 R/1.40 BB/8.15 SO/0.70 HR
JACKSON AT GREAT AMERICAN BALLPARK
- 12 IP/14 H/4 R/8 SO/2 HR
- BAA .280/ERA 3.00/WHIP 1.17
- GRADE: 84.57% (B)
- RATES: 29.17% H/8.33% R/16.67% SO/4.17% HR
- FIRST 27 RATE: 8 H/2 R/5 SO/HR
- PER 9: 10.50 H/2.57 R/6.00 SO/1.50 HR
CINGRANI’S LAST 7
- 35.1 IP/27 H/13 R/19 BB/38 SO/4 HR
- BAA .203/ERA 3.31/WHIP 1.30
- GRADE: 82.91% (B)
- RATES: 18.49% H/8.90% R/13.01% BB/26.03% SO/2.74% HR
- FIRST 27 RATE: 5 H/2 R/4 BB/7 SO/HR
- PER 9: 6.88 H/4.33 R/4.84 BB/9.68 SO/1.02 HR
CINGRANI VS. CHICAGO CUBS
- 26.2 IP/19 H/13 R/7 BB/23 SO/6 HR
- BAA .192/ERA 4.39/WHIP 0.98
- RATES: 18.45% H/12.62% R/6.80% BB/22.33% SO/5.83% HR
- FIRST 27 RATE: 5 H/3 R/2 BB/6 SO/2 HR
- PER 9: 6.41 H/6.16 R/2.36 BB/7.76 SO/2.03
CINGRANI AT GREAT AMERICAN BALLPARK
- 61 IP/43 H/20 R/18 ER/27 BB/73 SO/10 HR
- BAA .190/ERA 2.66/WHIP 1.15
- GRADE: 85.91% (B)
- RATES: 17.62% H/8.20% R/11.07% BB/29.92% SO/4.10% HR
- FIRST 27 RATE: 5 H/2 R/3 BB/8 SO/HR
- PER 9: 6.34 H/4.19 R/3.98 BB/10.77 SO/1.48 HR
PREDICTION AT MINIMUM
EDWIN JACKSON: 6.2 IP/7 H/3 R/2 BB/5 SO/HR
TONY CINGRANI: 7.1 IP/5 H/2 R/3 BB/8 SO/HR
PICK: Cubs 5-4.
Cubs at Reds for a 3 game series. Both teams met a week and a half ago which the Reds took 2 out of 3 as their first road trip stop. Both starting pitcher probables are the same as the first series.
Jeff Samardzija vs. Alfredo Simon
Edwin Jackson vs. Tony Cingrani
Game 1 Pitchers
SAMARDZIJA’S LAST 7
- 47.1 IP/43 H/12 R/10 ER/38 SO/2 HR
- BAA .232/ERA 1.90/WHIP 1.18
- GRADE: 88.58% (B)
- RATES: 22.40% H/6.25% R/6.77% BB/19.79% SO/1.04% HR
- FIRST 27 RATE: 6 H/2 R/2 BB/5 SO
- PER 9: 8.18 H/2.51 R/2.47 BB/7.23 SO/0.38 HR
SAMARDZIJA VS. CINCINNATI
- 63.2 IP/63 H/36 R/32 ER/24 BB/61 SO/8 HR
- BAA .24/ERA 4.52 ERA/WHIP 1.37
- GRADE: 78.18% (C)
- RATES: 22.66% H/12.95% R/8.63% BB/21.94% SO/2.88% HR
- FIRST 27 RATE: 6 H/3 R/2 BB/6 SO/HR
- PER 9: 8.91 H/5.14 R/3.39 BB/8.62 SO/1.13 HR
SAMARDZIJA AT GREAT AMERICAN BALLPARK
- 29.1 IP/30 H/19 R/18 ER/9 BB/29 SO/7 HR
- BAA .254/ERA 5.52/WHIP 1.33
- GRADE: 74.62% (C)
- RATES: 23.26% H/14.73% R/6.98% BB/22.48% SO/5.43% HR
- FIRST 27 RATE: 6 H/4 R/2 BB/6 SO/HR
- PER 9: 9.20 H/5.70 R/2.76 BB/8.90 SO/2.15 HR
SIMON’S LAST 7
- 33.1 IP/17 H/5 R/4 ER/11 BB/19 SO/2 HR
- BAA .145/ERA 1.08/WHIP 0.84
- GRADE: 92.89% (A)
- RATES: 13.28% H/3.91% R/8.59 BB/14.84 SO/1.56% HR
- FIRST 27 RATE: 4 H/R/2 BB/4 SO
- PER 9: 4.59 H/2.65 R/2.97 BB/5.13 SO/0.54 HR
SIMON VS. CHICAGO CUBS
- 16.2 IP/16 H/7 R/4 R/4 BB/13 SO/HR
- BAA .242/ERA 2.16/WHIP 1.20
- GRADE: 87.56% (B)
- RATES: 22.86% H/10.00% R/5.71% BB/18.57% SO/1.43% HR
- FIRST 27 RATE: 6 H/3 R/2 BB/5 SO
- PER 9: 8.64 H/3.94 R/2.16 BB/7.02 SO/0.54 HR
SIMON AT GREAT AMERICAN BALLPARK
- 83.1 IP/72 H/30 R/28 ER/24 BB/76 SO/9 HR
- BAA .214/ERA 2.85/WHIP 1.09
- GRADE: 85.41% (B)
- RATES: 19.78% H/8.24% R/6.59% BB/20.88% SO/2.47% HR
- FIRST 27 RATE: 5 H/2 R/2 BB/6 SO/HR
- PER 9: 7.34 H/3.75 R/2.45 BB/7.74 SO/0.92 HR
PREDICTION AT MINIMUM
ALFREDO SIMON: 7 IP/6 H/3 R/2 BB/5 SO/HR
JEFF SAMARDZIJA: 7 IP/6 H/3 R/2 BB/6 SO/HR
PICK: Reds 5-4. Cubs pitching will allow no more than 8 hits, 5 runs, 3 walks, 8 strikeouts and a home run. For the Reds, 7 hits, 4 runs, 3 walks, 6 strikeouts and a home run.
GAME 1 PREVIEW