The truth is for real, the Reds have to win today and tomorrow just to play at Great American Ballpark on Tuesday, “just to play”. Those words sounds like it is a one and done deal, no one wants to see the Reds success in October? Reds fans moaned and groaned about it last night, but why? just because the Reds have to win 2 out of 3, the fans believe every loss is treated like an NFL loss, those NFL fans have to moan and groan for a whole week while in Baseball, you’re back on the field in less than 24 hours. I feel the fans pain a bit, but cheer up and let it play out, your baseball teams that you choose to root for is either a postseason team or playing golf.
Now to dissect last night, bullpen is looking sharp and will be viable for Dusty Baker, I would suggest giving the ball to the bullpen if close game after 5th inning, but Baker has to be conscientious about it with only 25 players available to play and will likely supply 11 pitchers for the wildcard game. Anyone can support their option, but all of our words (sports writers) have no say in what Reds manager Dusty Baker and Baseball Op Walt Jocketty do, it is all on those two.
Grades from Game 160
STARTERS: Homer Bailey
- 5 IP, 4 H. 4 ER, 4 BB, 3 SO & HR
- .211 BAA. Per 9, 7.2 H, 7.2 BB, 5.4 SO & 1.8 HR. K/BB is 1.00
- 7.20 ERA & 1.60 WHIP
- GRADE: 51.11% (F)
BULLPEN: Alfredo Simón, J.J. Hoover & Logan Ondrusek
- 4 IP, 2 H, BB & 6 SO
- .143 BAA. Per 9 4.5 H, 2.25 BB & 9 SO. K/BB is 2.00
- 0.00 ERA & 0.75 WHIP
- GRADE: 95.83% (A)
BREAK IT DOWN NOW:
- Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo has faced the Pirates twice this 2013, while Pirates Pitcher Charlie Morton has faced the Reds once.
- Bronson Arroyo’s numbers against the 2013 Pirates: 12 IP, 12 H, 4 ER, 5 BB, 6 SO & 2 HR. BAA is .250, ERA 3.00 and WHIP is 1.42. Arroyo’s first start was better than the second start.
- Charlie Morton’s numbers against the 2013 Reds: 5.1 IP, 3 H & 2 SO. BAA is .158 & 0.56 WHIP.
Last thought before presenting prediction, don’t let player’s words or current slumps get you fired up. Player’s are humans and fans are humans, mistakes happen and no one wants them, so leave it behind.
Charlie Morton: 6 IP, 7 H, 2B, HR, 3 R, 2 BB, 4 SO & HBP
Bronson Arroyo: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 2 2B, HR, 3 R, 2 BB & 4 SO