Well, last night was a bummer for Reds fans, but at least the Reds know who to walk and be the ‘Joey Votto’ for a while. For those that don’t know who the Cardinals Votto is, it will be in Matt Adams. Adams is big and can hit balls farther than most, he can only hit it off of right handers. After knowing Adams’ strength, right handers will likely walk him or throw out of the plate to make him reach for pitches.
I will not discuss the bunting situation in Extra Innings, but I will leave you this photo.
Now for what my specialty is in the WordPress blog, the pitchers. The Reds and Dusty Baker are looking at these pitchers and saying to themselves that this is an interview to pitch in October, looking at Logan Ondrusek and Alfredo Simon, they’re not looking so good for a spot on the 25 man spot. I have looked at all three games and filtered the starting pitchers line and bullpen pitchers line, both ended up close in my figures.
The Starters’ line of Mat Latos, Homer Bailey and Bronson Arroyo:
23 IP, 13 H, 5 R (4 ER), 2 BB & 14 SO with a 1.57 ERA and 0.65 WHIP
Bullpen line of Manny Parra, Aroldis Chapman, Sam LeCure, Alfredo Simon, Zach Duke, J.J. Hoover and Logan Ondrusek:
11 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 2BB, 12 SO & 2 HR with a 1.64 ERA and 0.64 WHIP
Tuesday was 2 IP, BB & 4 SO (0.00 ERA and 0.50 WHIP)
Wednesday was 9 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, BB, 8 SO & 2 HR (2.00 ERA and 0.67 WHIP)
Now if Matt Adams didn’t exist, the Bullpen would indeed have an 0.00 ERA and 0.67 WHIP, but now Dusty Baker’s scouting report is to pitch outside to him, no secret anymore.
Billy steals on Molina, again. Somehow, couldn’t find the video from last night, but
Yadier Molina is 16-38 when catching a baserunner, he is 0-2 against Billy Hamilton.
After that inning, I waited for the Cincinnati sports writers on the bunting situation, here were the tweets regarding Phillips and Heisey bunts.
Bunting is questionable, but the Reds aren’t fit to do it in the game.
Box Score (St. Louis at Cincinnati) September 4th, 2013
Cincinnati at St. Louis Preview (September 5th, 2013)
Lance Lynn: 5 2/3 IP, 7 H, 2B, HR, 3 R, 3 BB, 8 SO, HBP & SF
Tony Cingrani: 4 2/3 IP, 9 H, 7 2B, 5 R, 5 BB & 7 SO
Things to Consider:
- Bullpens are taxed and burnt, Reds got to attack tonight Lance Lynn, he did end up exiting before 5 innings, which happened in August 2012
- Lynn is not a fan of Great American Ballpark, has a 5.50 ERA
- If you fall behind in the count on Lynn, you’re going to have a bad time. Lynn has averaged 8 strikeouts in every appearance against the Reds, he threw 11 strikeouts in his last game.
- Which bullpen pitchers are not likely to pitch in tonight’s game? From the Cardinals: Trevor Rosenthal, Tyler Lyons, and Carlos Martinez (the dirt ball thrower). From the Reds: J.J. Hoover, Alfredo Simon and Logan Ondrusek (I bet you’re excited when those last two names were announced).
- Take 3 and be happy, I know the Season series is 11-7 right now, but that doesn’t mean much when you’re down 2.5 games from 2nd and 3.5 GB from first.
- Know this, at the end of the day, don’t treat a loss like an NFL loss, it takes 10 MLB losses per 1 NFL loss, so be happy DAMNIT!
- Congrats to Manny Parra, he now has a child, he was available to pitch last night.